McDowell Wellness Center is the only comprehensive facility of its kind in Central Kentucky. Our combined family health and fitness center, outpatient rehabilitation services and community education programs are all in one convenient location.
At McDowell Wellness Center, our members and non-members can use a variety of services to reach their health and wellness goals.
Our water-based fitness classes are just right for people of all fitness levels – from aquatic therapy (designed for individuals with arthritis and multiple sclerosis), to sport-specific training. We offer:
A.M. Deep Water (60 minutes) - A high-energy cardiovascular workout in the deep end of the pool, this class has choreographed routines with optional power moves. Floatation belts are used along with weights and water noodles.
P.M. Deep Water (60 minutes) - A high-energy cardiovascular workout in the deep end of the pool, this class has choreographed routines with optional power moves. Floatation belts are used along with weights and water noodles.
Aqua Arthritis (45 minutes) - This is a non-impact program designed by the Arthritis Foundation to use warm water exercises for strengthening, increasing range of motion and flexibility. No swimming skills are necessary. This class is great for beginner or advanced levels. A release form from your doctor is required.
Relaxation Stretch Zone (45 minutes) - Designed to improve balance and increase flexibility using Yoga principles.
Morning Splash (60 minutes) - This medium intensity class emphasizing movement, toning, strength and flexibility is great for all fitness levels.
Senior Splash (60 minutes) - This is a complete total-body workout that consists of a warm-up, cardiovascular segment, strength segment, flexibility and lots of fun. This class is a step up from Aqua Arthritis.
Children's Activity Center
For our members' convenience, children can stay in the Children's Activity Center while their parents work out. Children between 3 months and 8 years of age can enjoy:
* Arts and crafts projects
* Programming that encourages physical activity
* Age-specific, computer-based educational programs and games
* Age-appropriate toys and videos
Monday through Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - noon and 4:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - noon
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. – noon
Fee: $4 (maximum stay of 2 1/2 hours per visit).
For each child's safety:
* A parent or guardian must sign the child in and out each visit. A completed enrollment and waiver form (available at the Children's Activity Center) is required.
* A parent or guardian must be on the premises while a child is in the Children's Activity Center.
* Please let the Children's Activity Center staff know if there are any activity restrictions for your child.
While children are in our care, the parent or guardian will be called if:
- their child needs a diaper change
- their child's behavior is inappropriate
- their child is upset and cannot be comforted
McDowell Minnows is a non-competitive program designed for children ages 6 through 12 who have completed swimming lessons, but are not quite ready for a full-time swim team. The program will introduce young swimmers to the world of competitive swimming through the application of drills, basic swimming fundamentals and racing strategy. A requirement of the program is that children must be able to swim freestyle for 25 yards and be able to backstroke.
The program will begin on September 8 and will meet each week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 3:45 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. The cost to participate is $45 per month for McDowell Wellness Center members and $60 per month for non-members. Additional children in the same family will receive a $10 discount. A free trial period, from August 18 through August 29, will be offered for anyone interested in participating in the program.
For more information or to sign up, please call (859) 936-WELL (9355).
Health & Safety Courses
We offer a wide range of health and safety courses. For more information, please call (859)936-WELL (9355) for the most current schedule of classes. Among the courses we offer are:
CPR Pro for the Professional Rescuer
This course is designed for professional rescuers (including lifeguards, nurses, emergency personnel, etc.) who need CPR to meet certification and licensure requirements. This course includes adult, infant, and child CPR, two-person CPR, AED, and the use of CPR related equipment. CPR Pro for the Professional Rescuer has been accepted by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). The program has been approved by many state health agencies and may be used to meet The Joint Commission's Resuscitation Standard.
CPR-AED for the Community and Workplace
CPR-AED for the Community and Workplace provides individuals with the basic knowledge and skills necessary to provide effective basic life support in an emergency.
Serious and life-threatening medical emergencies often cause oxygen to be depleted from the body, leaving the victim at risk for cardiac arrest or brain damage. Supplemental oxygen is essential to treatment. This program focuses on administering emergency oxygen, rescue breathing and oxygen delivery devices.
Basic First Aid
Properly applied first aid can save lives, reduce recovery time, and may mean the difference between temporary or lifelong disability for the victim. Class participants learn to recognize the signs and symptoms of injuries and sudden illness, how to deal with emergencies such as bleeding, shock, burns, strains, fractures, allergic reactions, diabetic complications and seizures.
This program includes information to help students understand what bloodborne pathogens are and how to reduce risk of exposure for themselves and others. The program meets training requirements for the U.S. Department of Labor, OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standard.
Essentials in Basic Emergency Care
The Essentials program provides laypersons with the minimum knowledge and skills necessary to give emergency care during the brief interval between incident and EMS arrival. This program is ideal for the industrial setting. It includes adult CPR, AED, first aid, oxygen administration (awareness level), and bloodborne pathogens (awareness level).
This 50-60 hour course gives people the necessary skills and knowledge to provide emergency care in many settings. This is the first level of pre-hospital emergency care. Topics include treatment of sudden illness and injuries, care of spinal injuries, and EMS operations.
Child and Baby Sitting Safety
The number one priority of this course is to keep you and the children you care for safe. Babysitting is not just "watching" children, but being responsible for their safety and well being. When caring for a child, you are taking care of a parent's most prized possession.
CPR and First Aid for Hairdressers, Cosmetologists and Nail Technicians
This program teaches first aid and CPR techniques that fulfill the required CEU's for these professions.
Pet First Aid
Pet first aid is the immediate care given to an injured or suddenly ill pet until competent veterinary care is available. Properly applied first aid can save your pet's life, reduce recovery time and be the difference between temporary and lifelong disability. This program concentrates on basic first aid care and is not intended to replace veterinary care.
Hazard Communication (HAZCOM)
Hazard Communication (HAZCOM) training provides understanding of potential chemical dangers in the workplace. Participants learn to identify chemicals, how to access and read hazardous materials manuals, how to read warning labels and Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
When Disaster Strikes
Throughout time, mankind has been dealing with the threat of disaster. Disasters come in two forms, natural or manmade. Sometimes disasters can strike without warning. Your only defense is your ability to prepare.
American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Program
Are you 15 or older and looking for a great summer job or a challenging career? American Red Cross Lifeguarding is the best place to start! Lifeguarding will help you develop skills and experience that will be valued by colleges and future employers. It's a great way to demonstrate what you can offer. Colleges and employers look for applicants who can deal effectively with people, who have a take charge attitude and who are willing to work to develop new skills.
What You Will Learn
American Red Cross training makes learning fun and easy. You'll study:
- Surveillance skills to help you recognize and prevent injuries
- Rescue skills – for the water and land
- First aid training and professional rescuer CPR to prepare for any emergency
- Professional lifeguard responsibilities, such as interacting with the public and addressing uncooperative patrons
American Red Cross Lifeguarding also offers optional training modules to develop more skills:
- Automated External Defibrillation (AED)
- Bloodborne Pathogens (Preventing Disease Transmission)
- Oxygen Administration
McDowell Wellness Center is an authorized training center for the American Safety and Health Institute and the American Red Cross.
We offer fitness programs for everyone, from exercise newcomers to conditioned athletes. All of our instructors are trained and certified in specific fitness areas so they can deliver the newest skills to our members.
Our classes include:
- Total Body Pump (60 minutes) – Participants use hand weights, weighted body bars and resistance bands to gain cardiovascular conditioning and strength endurance.
- Killer Abs (20 minutes) - This class is sure to get your abs in shape! Abdominal balls, weighted body bars and steps may be used in this class.
- P.A.C.E. (People with Arthritis Can Exercise) (60 minutes) – This class is ideal for individuals with arthritis who want more flexibility and strength. A release form from your doctor is required.
- Pilates-Based Classes (60 minutes) – These classes consist of a series of non-impact, yet highly intense, controlled movements that promote muscular strength, flexibility, balance and coordination by focusing on the body's core of the abdominals and back.
- Power Toning (60 minutes) – This class is sure to increase endurance, strength and flexibility through the use of hand weights, weighted bars, resistance bands, and an abdominal workout.
- Spinning (45-60 minutes) – This class is for individuals who like the challenge of a tough bike ride. Spin bikes are available on a first come first serve basis so participants should arrive at class 15 minutes early.
- Yoga (60 minutes) – This class uses gentle exercises that improve an individual's balance, coordination and flexibility. Yoga is recommended for a wide variety of health conditions, including carpal tunnel syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, asthma, fibromyalgia, seasonal affective disorder, migraines, menopause, stroke, diabetes and multiple sclerosis.
- Wild Card (60 minutes) – This class varies with the instructors so anything goes!
- Zumba (60 minutes) – This class combines Latin dance moves for a fast-paced aerobic workout.
One of the earliest known medical practices to relieve pain and restore body function is massage therapy. It is a natural and instinctive method to help soothe minor aches and pains while decreasing tension, stress and the general feeling of fatigue from which many people suffer.
Massage therapy is proven to:
- Reduce stress
- Increase blood flow
- Relax muscles
- Increase metabolism
- Help prevent injuries
- Reduce inflammation
- Reduce recovery time from exercise or injury
Massages are by appointment only - Tuesday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Saturday 9:00a.m. to Noon. A 24-hour cancellation notice is required. Same-day appointments are available.
- 30 Minutes - $35
- 60 Minutes - $65
- 90 Minutes - $100
- 120 Minutes - $145
Payment is due before the massage is provided and credit cards are welcome.
A private changing area is provided for all clients, who may disrobe to their comfort level and will
remain completely covered at all times.
All massage therapy clients will be asked to complete a health history form before the initial massage is performed.
A massage makes a great gift for anyone. Gift certificates are available throughout the year.
Please call McDowell Wellness Center at (859)936-WELL (9355) for more information or to schedule an appointment.
We offer pre-season, in-season and post-season sport-specific training for:
We also offer individualized personal training programs for weight management, toning, strengthening, and cardiovascular fitness.
Requests for specific trainers will be honored with an appointment. Walk-ins are welcome and will be seen by the first available trainer.
Personal training is not available for individuals under 12 years of age. Individuals age 12-15 must have a parent or guardian on the premises at the time services are provided.
Individual visits (pre-paid):
- 30 minutes - $25
- 60 minutes - $40
- 12 visits – 30 minutes each - $195
- 24 visits – 30 minutes each - $375
- 12 visits – 60 minutes each - $375
- 24 visits – 60 minutes each - $600
Our trained and licensed professionals provide comprehensive rehabilitation services including physical, occupational and speech therapy.
Physical Therapy - When you are disabled by an injury or illness, our physical therapists can use a variety of techniques to assist in your recovery. These may include aquatic therapy, therapeutic exercise, pain management techniques and manual therapy skills.
Occupational Therapy - To regain skills or learn skills adapted to your condition, you can benefit from occupational therapy - including training in the skills of daily living (e.g., bathing, eating), increasing upper body function, using assistive devices and adaptive equipment, training in using your body energy wisely, and work simplification/modification.
Speech/Language Pathology - Our speech and language pathologists evaluate and treat: voice (chronic hoarseness, breathy and weak vocal quality and strained voice); speech-language (expressive and receptive language deficits, apraxia, dysarthria and fluency); cognition (orientation, memory, reasoning, problem-solving and sequencing); and dysphagia (coughing/choking when eating or painful swallowing).
Special Programs - We have specialized programs focusing on:
- Hand rehabilitation
- Vestibular and balance rehabilitation
- Work-related injuries
- Women's health
- Aquatic therapy
- Postural restoration
- Swallowing disorders, including VitalStim
- Rehabilitation following strokes, traumatic injuries and joint replacement surgery
For more information about our rehabilitation services, please call (859)936-7230.