The Outpatient Pharmacy at Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center is a convenient option for handling all of your medication and medical support needs.
Our Outpatient Pharmacy services are available to all Ephraim McDowell Health Associates and their dependents as well as to our patients, visitors and the community.
Besides filling your prescriptions, our Outpatient Pharmacy also offers:
- Over-the-counter medications
- Health and beauty aids
- Bandages and other medical supplies that patients leaving the hospital might need at home
Hours of Operation & Contact Information
Monday through Thursday: 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Friday: 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturday: 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
All Outpatient Pharmacy services are available at Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center - First floor, just inside the Third Street entrance. Reserved 15-minute parking is available.
- We accept most insurance plans, including Medicaid and most Medicare Part D plans.
- You may also pay with cash, check, debit or credit cards.
- EMH Associates may use badge swipe for payment via payroll deduction. (Discounts are available for Associates on some over-the-counter medications.)
Special Pharmacy Services:
- Discharge Services : If you are being discharged, your family can bring down prescriptions to be filled before or request the nurse/pharmacist to fax the prescription to us. You can pick them up before you go home.
- Hope Clinic : The Outpatient Pharmacy provides prescriptions to Hope Clinic patients Monday through Friday, from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Hope Clinic patients cannot pick up medications before 2:00 p.m.
- Convenient prescription refills : Available by calling the pharmacy at (859)239-1706.
- Medication Therapy Management (MTM): Our Medication Therapy Management clinic helps you better understand the medicines you are taking, how you are supposed to take them and how to reduce your risks for errors. As an added benefit, you may be eligible for price discounts on prescriptions filled through the Outpatient Pharmacy.
- Concierge Pharmacy Service: This service is offered to all patients and right before discharge, those patients who wish to take part just need to notify their nurse. The nurse will turn in the patient’s discharge medications to the pharmacy. Once the prescriptions are filled, a volunteer picks them up and delivers them to the patient. This program makes discharge and returning home much easier on our patients.
Ephraim McDowell Associates and dependents covered on the Ephraim McDowell Health prescription plan who use the MTM service may be able to lower their prescription co-pay by up to 50%.
All MTM participants receive a special medication record that lists your prescriptions, over-the-counter medications and drug allergies. This is a convenient tool for keeping family members, physicians and others healthcare providers up to date on what you are taking – especially in emergencies.
To schedule a Medication Therapy Management appointment please call ext. 1711 or 1706.
Anticoagulation Management Clinic: If you are taking an anticoagulation medication (such as warfarin, Coumadin®) your doctor may refer you to our Anticoagulation Clinic. You benefit from:
- Cost savings: You are eligible for discounted warfarin prescriptions through the Outpatient Pharmacy.
- Safer results: We offer point of care testing (INR) during the visit and adjust the dose to reach the targeted INR. Participating in the Anticoagulation Clinic also offers continuity of care for patients to meet National Patient Safety Goals for Anticoagulation Safety.
- Education: We help you understand how to manage your life while on these medications, and help track your variations in diet, drug therapy and treatment goals while monitoring for safety.
- Updates: Your doctor will receive a report after each visit in order to stay fully informed about your situation. (Pharmacists denote INR and dose adjustments in Meditech.)
All services are delivered by pharmacists specially-trained in anticoagulation management. To participate, you must be ambulatory and able to come on-site for an appointment with an anticoagulation clinic pharmacist.
For more information or to schedule an appointment for the Anticoagulation Clinic, please call (859)239-1711.
The Inpatient Pharmacy at Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center is operational 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, serving patients of all ages including neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric populations. The pharmacy operates using a decentralized staffing model, with Clinical Pharmacists located on primary patient floors Monday through Friday.
The pharmacy provides the following services:
- Unit dose distribution system with automated dispensing cabinets in most patient care areas
- Admixture service for intermittent and large volume parenteral products, chemotherapies, PCAs and epidurals
- Medication storage area management
- Crash cart and emergency med box management
- Medication order screening for appropriateness
- Medication reconciliation
- Pharmacokinetic drug consults
- Antimicrobial management consults
- Code participation
- Pain management consults
- Drug information services
- Patient education
- Pharmacy resident and student education
- Medication use evaluation
- Medication dictionary and database management
- Barcode database management and barcode labeling of medications
- Drug regimen reviews for Transitional Care Unit (subacute care)
- Medication use evaluation
- Adverse event and medication variance reporting
- Unit dose packaging
- Hazardous drug waste program
- Formulary management
- Automated inventory management system
In addition to the Clinical Staff Pharmacists, the department is staffed by a Director of Pharmacy, Inpatient Pharmacy Manager, Clinical Pharmacy Coordinator, Pharmacy Residency Program Director, Information Services Pharmacist, Pharmacy Residents, Pharmacy Intern, Pharmacy Students, Pharmacy Technician Supervisor, Certified Pharmacy Technicians, Inventory Control Certified Pharmacy Tech, and Medication Reconciliation Certified Pharmacy Technician.
For any questions or concerns, please contact Joan Haltom, Director of Pharmacy, at (859)239-1721.