Colds and the flu are common illnesses that most people experience at some point in their lives, and sometimes even seasonally. Typically, most people recover from those illnesses without any complications, but some infectious diseases won’t go away on their own.
Our infectious disease specialist treats a wide variety of severe illnesses caused by harmful bacteria, fungi, parasites or viruses. These include:
- HIV infection
- Acute and chronic viral hepatitis, including hepatitis A, B, or C
- Histoplasmosis and other fungal infections
- C diff and other gastrointestinal diseases
- Bloodstream and catheter/port infection
- Tick or mosquito-borne infections
- MRSA and other skin infections
Christopher L. Petrey, D.O.
Dr. Christopher Petrey is an Air Force veteran who holds several degrees and a multifaceted medical background. He earned his medical degree in 2010 from the Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine. He completed a fellowship in sleep medicine at Washington University in St. Louis and both an internal medicine residency and critical care fellowship at University of Tennessee Health Science Center. He joined Ephraim McDowell in 2019.